New ‘Top Docs’ show features GCMB Chair Gretchen Collins, M.D.
The latest edition of the Medical Association of Georgia’s (MAG) ‘Top Docs Radio’ show features Georgia Composite Medical Board (GCMB) Chair Gretchen Collins, M.D.
Dr. Collins addresses…
– GCMB’s mission and composition
– What kinds of health care professionals GCMB licenses
– How often GCMB meets – and whether the meetings open to the public
– What a patient should do if they want to file a complaint or grievance against a physician
– Some of the most common complaints that patients file with GCMB
– The requirement for physicians to let their patients know (i.e., “post”) that they have the right to file a grievance with GCMB
– How GCMB handles its investigations and what action it can take
– How licensure works under the Interstate Medical Licensure Compact
– Why the Georgia Physician Health Program is important
– The requirement for every physician in the state who has a DEA license to be registered with the Georgia Prescription Drug Monitoring Program
GCMB’s mission is to “protect the health of Georgians through the proper licensing of physicians and certain members of the healing arts and through the objective enforcement of the Medical Practice Act.”
GCMB is the “licensing agency for physicians, physician assistants, respiratory care professionals, perfusionists, acupuncturists, orthotists, prosthetists, auricular (ear) detoxification specialists, residency training permits, cosmetic laser practitioners, pain management clinics and medical geneticist.” It “investigates complaints and disciplines those who violate Georgia’s Medical Practice Act or other laws governing the professional behavior of its licensees.”
Dr. Collins is a board-certified psychiatrist. She is View Point Health’s chief medical officer, and she serves on View Point’s assertive community treatment team – which “provides intensive and highly integrated mental health services to some of the most challenging clients in the state.” Dr. Collins has been a clinical professor and conducted research in clinical trials. She is an American Psychiatric Association fellow, and she is a diplomat in the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. Dr. Collins has a medical degree from the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine, and she completed her residency at Emory University and affiliated hospitals.
Between downloads and live listeners, the ‘Top Docs Radio’ show – which won an American Association of Medical Society Executives Profiles of Excellence Award in 2019 – has now reached more than 630,000 listeners and viewers, which includes people in all 50 states and more than 80 countries.
The ‘Top Docs Radio’ show is supported with a grant from Alliant Health Solutions in memory of Tom Williams, its former CEO.
In addition to the video recordings that are available on Facebook, the ‘Top Docs Radio’ show is available as a podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, Stitcher, and iHeart Radio.
Rule 360-27-.02 Declaration of Patients' Rights…
– Physicians are required to post a declaration of the patient's rights to file a grievance with the Board concerning a physician, staff, office or treatment received.
– The declaration shall contain the following language with no alterations, deletions or additions: “The patient has the right to file a grievance with the Georgia Composite Medical Board, concerning the physician, staff, office and treatment received. The patient should send a written complaint to the board. The patient should be able to provide the physician or practice name, the address and the specific nature of the complaint.”
Patients may submit complaints or grievances in writing to “Composite Medical Board, Attn. Complaints Unit, No. 2 Peachtree Street, N.W. 36th Floor, Atlanta, GA 30303” or by calling 404.656.3913.
Contact LaSharn Hughes at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions related to GCMB.
Georgia PHP website
The views of the guests who appear on the ‘Top Docs Radio’ show are theirs and aren’t necessarily consistent with MAG’s policies or positions. Contact Tom Kornegay at email@example.com with questions about the MAG ‘Top Docs Radio’ show.