‘Top Docs’ looks at COVID-19 from array of M.D. perspectives
The latest edition of the Medical Association of Georgia’s (MAG) ‘Top Docs’ show addresses COVID-19 from a number of medical perspectives – and it features Charles Wilmer, M.D., a MAG member who is an interventional cardiologist and the chief of innovation at the Piedmont Heart Institute in Atlanta.
Dr. Wilmer discusses…
– Who should get tested for COVID-19
– The availability, kinds, and quality of COVID-19 tests
– Why PPE is so important for patients and health care workers
– How COVID-19 has affected patients’ access to medical care
– How COVID-19 has undermined patient care
– COVID-19’s high-risk groups
– Pediatric Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome (PMIS)
– Why accidental poisonings have increased during the pandemic
– Which drugs he believes will work with COVID-19 patients
– His forecast for the development of a COVID-19 vaccine(s)
– Whether Georgia will see a second “wave,” and if the state’s prepared
– His views on Georgia’s plan to “re-open”
Along with being a MAG member and one of Georgia’s American Medical Association alternate delegates, Dr. Wilmer is a member of the Medical Association of Atlanta’s Board of Directors. He was one of the leading advocates for Georgia’s “hands-free” law to reduce distracted driving that has saved countless lives, he helped make automated external defibrillators available at Olympic venues in Atlanta in 1996, and he worked with former U.S. Health and Human Services Sec. Tom Price, M.D., to enact the AED Good Samaritan Law in Georgia. Dr. Wilmer has a medical degree from the University of Virginia Medical School, and he completed a residency and fellowship at Emory University Hospital.
Between downloads and live listeners, ‘Top Docs’ has now reached more than one million listeners and viewers – which includes people in all 50 states and more than 80 countries. MAG has won two awards for the show, including an American Association of Medical Society Executives Profiles of Excellence Award and a Health Information Resource Center Digital Health Award.
‘Top Docs’ is supported with a grant from Alliant Health Solutions in memory of Tom Williams, its former CEO.
In addition to the video recordings that are available on Facebook, ‘Top Docs’ is available as a podcast on Apple, Google, Spotify, Stitcher, and iHeart Radio.
worldometer COVID-19 cases/deaths/recoveries tracker
CDC COVID-19 web page
FDA COVID-19 web page
Georgia DPH COVID-19 Daily Status Report
Augusta University COVID-19 Virtual Screening Resource